Following further government guidance the London Borough of Havering reopened it’s cemeteries from 9.00am on Tuesday 21 April 2020 to allow families to visit graves. The maximum number of mourners permitted in Upminster Cemetery Chapel is currently 18.
Current guidance states that singing, chanting or playing instruments that are blown, should be specifically avoided.
We are required to assist NHS Test and Trace with data requests to contain outbreaks of infection. We are waiting for more specific guidance, but in the meantime, we will provide forms on pews and ask that each household attending a service provides a contact name and telephone number. This information will be kept for 21 days before being destroyed by means of a confidential waste service. To facilitate this, please ensure that families are aware that mourners need to bring pens with them.
Families are asked to ensure that during visits they comply with government guidance regarding social distancing, for their safety and that of our staff. The cemeteries will be open for mourners only, if they are used for recreational purposes the decision will be reviewed.
We would like to take this opportunity to remind visitors that dogs are not allowed in our cemeteries unless assistance dogs.
Named as Large Cemetery of the Year, in 2017 by London in Bloom judges, Upminster Cemetery has been recognised with a prestigious Gold Award for the fourth year in succession in 2019. The cemetery is popular with families throughout the borough and beyond and frequent visitors find themselves making friends in the adjacent Tea Room, in the grounds of South Essex Crematorium.
Upminster Cemetery was opened in 1902 and is next to the South Essex Crematorium.
• 17 Acres (further 6 acres under development)
• Traditional Chapel, seating 40
• South Chapel, South Essex Crematorium, seating 120 (additional fee applies)
• Organ (Please ask your funeral director to arrange for an organist)
• Pre-recorded music
• Ample Parking, in cemetery and in adjacent Crematorium carpark
You can choose to purchase a:
• Traditional Grave
• Lawn Grave
• Mini Headstone Cremated Remains Plot
• Child’s Grave on a dedicated children’s section
• Traditional Cremated Remains Plot (limited)
• Memorial Bench made from environmentally friendly recycled materials (on selected sections)