Cemeteries in the London Borough of Havering are open for you and your family to visit graves.
The maximum number of mourners permitted in Upminster Cemetery Chapel is currently 50. Following a risk assessment hymn books and service books are not currently available and congregational singing is not permitted. Additional requests regarding soloists or instrumentalists will be risk assessed on an individual basis remaining mindful of the local COVID-19 case rates.
Named as Large Cemetery of the Year, in 2017 by London in Bloom judges, Upminster Cemetery has been recognised with a prestigious Gold Award for the fourth year in succession in 2019. The cemetery is popular with families throughout the borough and beyond and frequent visitors find themselves making friends in the adjacent Tea Room, in the grounds of South Essex Crematorium.
Work is underway on phases two and three of the planned cemetery extension to provide burial capacity for the next twenty years.
Throughout the week beginning 27 September contractors will be laying tarmac. Due to the nature of the works they are unable to pause for burials. There will be a heavy flow of traffic, including lorries and rollers and unavoidable noise from reversing vehicles. Please take extra care when visiting. We recommend you plan your visit after 2pm during this week if possible.
Upminster Cemetery was opened in 1902 and is next to the South Essex Crematorium.
• 17 Acres (further 6 acres under development)
• Traditional Chapel, seating 40
• South Chapel, South Essex Crematorium, seating 120 (additional fee applies)
• Organ (Please ask your funeral director to arrange for an organist)
• Pre-recorded music
• Ample Parking, in cemetery and in adjacent Crematorium carpark
You can choose to purchase a:
• Traditional Grave
• Lawn Grave
• Mini Headstone Cremated Remains Plot
• Child’s Grave on a dedicated children’s section
• Traditional Cremated Remains Plot (limited)
• Memorial Bench made from environmentally friendly recycled materials (on selected sections)
Click here for more information on memorial safety testing.