Cemeteries in the London Borough of Havering are open for you and your family to visit graves.
There are currently no restrictions on numbers using the chapel. Singing is permitted and hymn books are available. Please note that whilst hand sanitiser is available at the chapel entrance we are no longer spraying the chapel between services. Family members are not permitted to back fill at graveside however this policy is under review.
In 2017 Upminster Cemetery was named Large Cemetery of the Year. The cemetery has received the prestigious Gold Award from London in Bloom judges each year, since 2014 and in 2021 the cemetery earned the title Category Winner. Upminster Cemetery is popular with families throughout the borough and beyond and frequent visitors find themselves making friends in the adjacent Tea Room, in the grounds of South Essex Crematorium.
Work is underway on phases two and three of the planned cemetery extension to provide burial capacity for the next twenty years.
Upminster Cemetery was opened in 1902 and is next to the South Essex Crematorium.
• 17 Acres (further 6 acres under development)
• Traditional Chapel, seating 50
• South Chapel, South Essex Crematorium, seating 120 (additional fee applies)
• Organ (Please ask your funeral director to arrange for an organist)
• Pre-recorded music
• Ample Parking, in cemetery and in adjacent Crematorium carpark
You can choose to purchase a:
• Traditional Grave
• Lawn Grave
• Mini Headstone Cremated Remains Plot
• Child’s Grave on a dedicated children’s section
• Traditional Cremated Remains Plot (limited)
• Memorial Bench made from environmentally friendly recycled materials (on selected sections)
Click here for more information on memorial safety testing.