CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE
Tuesday 7 April 2020
Due to Government guidance the Gardens of Remembrance at South Essex Crematorium and the borough's cemeteries will be closed from 7pm tonight until further notice. Our usual programmes of maintenance will continue.
Funerals are still taking place at South Essex Crematorium and in the borough's cemeteries.
Thursday 26 March 2020
In response to feedback from families, and in line with other local crematoria:
- Cremation services will be limited to 10 mourners in line with government guidelines on social distancing.
- Cemetery chapel services will also be limited to 10 mourners. For services direct to grave, families are limited to 10 mourners and are asked to keep the time at graveside as short as possible.
Wednesday 25 March 2020
In line with our major incident emergency plans a temporary mortuary is being built at South Essex Crematorium on behalf of the London borough councils and as part of the London-wide response to coronavirus. This is being done as a sensible precaution and similar arrangements are made during any London-wide response to incidents.
Tuesday 24 March 2020
- All witnessed ashes burials have ceased.
- Cremation services will be limited to 5 mourners in line with government guidelines on social distancing.
- Cemetery chapel services will also be limited to 5 mourners. For services direct to grave, families are limited to 5 mourners and are asked to keep the time at graveside as short as possible.
- Families will be offered a webcast of the service (South and East chapels) for the reduced fee of £30.00.
- Families will also be offered a downloadable file instead of a DVD or USB at the reduced fee of £30.00 (South and East chapels).
Any requests for Webcasts or service recordings need to be ordered via your Funeral Director. We are sorry that we cannot take these orders direct.
Monday 23 March 2020
- Following Government guidance, the Tea Room at South Essex is closed.
- The Office reception is closed to face to face callers. Most staff are able to work and those with underlying health conditions are working from home, answering the phones and emails, however phones are always busy so please bear with us.
- Hymn books and donation boxes have been removed from all chapels.
- Shaw Trust assistance has now ceased.
- We have ceased provision of grave selection and families backfilling graves.
- Ashes pick up by the family has ceased.
- Funeral Directors can still collect ashes.